To celebrate Pancake Day, LangfordRae Property Agents recommend this vegan fluffy American pancake recipe with fresh berries, maple syrup or chocolate sauce.
Each serving of vegan pancakes provides 365 kcal, 8g protein, 64g carbohydrate (of which 16g sugars), 8g fat (of which 1g saturates), 3g fibre and 0.6g salt.
Preparation/Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
· 125g/4½oz self-raising flour
· 2 tbsp caster sugar
· 1 tsp baking powder
· good pinch sea salt
· 150ml/5fl oz soya milk or almond milk
· ¼ tsp vanilla extract
· 4 tsp sunflower oil, for frying
1. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix with a whisk until smooth.
2. Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil and wipe around the pan with a heatproof brush or carefully using a thick wad of kitchen paper.
3. Once the pan is hot, pour a small ladleful (around two dessert spoons) of the batter into one side of the pan and spread with the back of the spoon until around 10cm/4in in diameter. Make a second pancake in exactly the same way, greasing the pan with the remaining oil before adding the batter.
4. Cook for about a minute, or until bubbles are popping on the surface and just the edges look dry and slightly shiny. Quickly and carefully flip over and cook on the other side for a further minute, or until light, fluffy and pale golden brown. If you turn the pancakes too late, they will be too set to rise evenly. You can always flip again if you need the first side to go a little browner.
5. Transfer to a plate and keep warm in a single layer (so they don’t get squished) on a baking tray in a low oven while the rest of the pancakes are cooked in exactly the same way. Serve with your preferred toppings.