Skip to content

Have You Heard Of A FENSA Certificate?

If you’re ready to sell a property in Chelsfield, you will already know that there are many documents you’ll need to provide to your prospective buyer. However, one document that you may be unaware of is a FENSA certificate. Here, we take a closer look at what this important piece of paperwork is, why you need one, and what to do if you don’t have yours available.

What is a FENSA Certificate?

FENSA certificates are a form of proof to show that the installer of your windows and doors complied with the relevant building regulations. They prove the installer replaced your doors and/or windows with ones that meet the latest building regulations and are designed for energy efficiency. They also prove that the installer is registered with your local authority.

A FENSA certificate is valid for the entire length of time the doors and/or windows stay in place as the certificate is for the property and not the individual who arranged for the installation.

FENSA certificates make the process of selling your home easier as they verify that your warranty has been insured, but you should note that FENSA certificates don’t represent a guarantee.

Do I Need A FENSA Certificate?

As of April 2002, any windows or doors that have been fitted must meet the latest building regulation standards, and so when you’re ready to sell a house in Chelsfield it’s your responsibility to prove that your windows and doors meet these requirements.

Installing double glazing that doesn’t adhere to the relevant building regulations is illegal with penalties in the form of fines being issued. Homeowners may even face prosecution in the most extreme cases. Therefore, if you’re keen to sell while also complying with the law, you need to have your FENSA certificate in hand.

What Do I Do If I Don’t Have A FENSA Certificate?

If your FENSA certificate has gone missing in action, don’t worry, as there are several things you can do to overcome this obstacle.

First, you should ask your conveyancer or solicitor to get in touch with the local authority where there will be a database that details all installations. You can then make an application for a Retrospective Building Regulation Compliance Certificate. Be aware, though, that this takes time and there will be a charge for providing this.

Another option is to arrange for your property to be visited by a building control officer who can inspect your doors and/or windows to determine whether the installation meets the required standards. If they determine that it does, they can then issue you with a certificate that proves their compliance. Again, there is a fee to pay for this service which varies between local authorities.

One further option is taking out an indemnity insurance policy which will cover double glazing. Should you choose this route, you need to ensure the policy will cover any costs which may be payable if your windows or doors weren’t installed in compliance with the relevant building regulations.

Ensuring you’re properly covered is essential to protect you. Be aware, though, that you can only take out indemnity insurance if the installation is more than 12 months old.

How Can I Obtain A FENSA Certificate?

It’s clearly easier to ensure you’ve got your FENSA certificate in place before selling your property. As long as your installation was carried out by an installer who is FENSA-registered, you’ll have no problems in getting your certificate. All you have to do is visit FENSA’s website and complete your details before ordering your new certificate copy. It should only cost a nominal fee for replacement certificates.

If you’re selling your home in Chelsfield and need advice about the paperwork you’ll need to provide, get in touch with our team at Langford Rae Property Agents today on 01689862770 or at

Image by <a href="">Freepik</a>